When Microsoft announced that Windows 10 would be available as a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8.1 devices, owners of those devices running Windows RT were understandably frustrated by the news that they would not be offered an upgrade path to the new OS. Instead, the company released Windows RT 8.1 Update 3 in September, adding a Windows 10-style Start menu for those devices, but little else.
But one developer is hoping to offer a new lease on life for the very first Windows RT device, Microsoft's own Surface RT tablet. Over on XDA-Developers, 'black_blob' is publishing details of his project to create an unofficial Windows 10 Mobile ROM that can be installed on the first-gen RT device.
- Windows 10 on ARM is NOT Windows RT all over again
- Microsoft and Qualcomm announce Always Connected Windows 10 'Mobile PCs' with Snapdragon 835
- Microsoft: x86 Apps Will Run On ARM Chips At Near-Native Performance
- Microsoft video shows Windows on ARM running full Windows 10 and x86 apps
- Windows 10 Creators Update Brings Cortana on the Raspberry Pi